Thursday, February 21, 2013

SNOW in Tucson! School, Sabino Canyon, and Saguaro National Park

During the work-week, I am a teacher...

...and so, yesterday in Tucson, when the rain began to change over to snow, I just had to let my students go outside. For this particular young woman--originally from Africa--it was the first time she'd ever seen the white stuff falling from the sky:
Snow in Tucson is a rare treat; the last time kids in this desert city enjoyed it was six years ago, before I moved here. 

As it began to accumulate, the only sane and humane thing for me to do was to let them go outside and have a snowball fight:
By mid-afternoon, the clouds had begun to lift;
I went for a hike in Sabino Canyon after work--
the lower-elevation snow was melting quickly... 


...but then the clouds began to roll back in...


...and by dinner-time, it was snowing--AND sticking--again.

It snowed for most of the evening.

So, this morning, I got up early and drove out to Saguaro National Park East, (about a 15 minute drive from where we live), hoping that if I got there before the sun came up, I'd beat the melting.

I got my wish. 

For years, I've wanted to see the rare spectacle of a snow-covered saguaro-forest...
The timing was perfect: today and tomorrow are school-holidays--it's the annual Tucson Rodeo/Fiesta de los Vaqueros. It might have been overpoweringly tempting to call in sick, had I not already had the day off...
You might get snow down in the Tucson basin, oh, maybe once a decade or so. The mountains get blanketed several times each winter, but it's rare that the snow-line drops below three- or four-thousand feet...



Frosted ocotillos looking so wintry...
...but look closely: you'll see the new spring leaf-buds under the snow:



As soon as the sun rose over the ridge of the Rincon Mountains,
I could hear the drip-drip-drip of the melting begin...
Sun, snow, and saguaros...
By mid-day, the blanket of white was a memory...

So ephemeral, snow in the desert...
Next time--when? 

It might be years from now.
By then, who knows what mobile photography will be like?

[For more snow-in-the-desert-photos (non-iphone), 




No comments:

Post a Comment